Mac Support

Mycal

Staff member
If we add Mac support for any of our projects, it has to be in a language other than Vb.Net/C# OR it has to use OpenGL (or GDI) and Mono. I've only mildly looked at Mono but it's plausible. Technically, since Ody will be using the BSGame library, and since BSGame doesn't use any native windows functions (I think), it is something that could possibly be considered.

steven

Administrator
Yep just wondering an old Ody player was asking me about it, I will always be a PC I think so I dont really care.

Mycal

Staff member
I've been trying to Tri-boot my laptop for awhile now (Win7 and Ubuntu are already dual booting nicely) without success. I have a copy of Snow Leopard and was able to dual boot another laptop using Win7 and OSX, but my laptop is giving me problems. HP is gay and gives a VERY dumbed down BIOS and doesn't give me the options I need to set to enable OSX installation...so no idea what to do besides virtualization which does work, just a pain. Anyway, the point is, I'm working on getting an OSX machine that I'll be able to regularly access so if I do get it working, I'll revisit this topic and determine whether it will be possible or not using C#.

Just out of curiousity if anyone does have a Mac, Linux has Wine for windows emulation, does OSX have anything similar besides bootcamp? Guess I could look it up myself, but meh, I'd rather spend the time to figure out how I can get my laptop to load the DVD properly (currently just gives me the message that I need to power off the PC).

steven

Administrator
I thought emulation was the only way to get MacOS on a computer that wasnt from Apple, how are you dual booting, I wanna do that haha.

Mycal

Staff member
Depends mostly on the machine you are trying to dualboot. AFAIK all newer Intel based machines (i3, i5, i7) are capable of running a vanilla copy of OSX. Drivers are another issue. My HP dv6-2190us will boot OSX with these flags (-x cpus=1) but it is not ideal since it will only be using 1 core. There was a way to fix this, but there is currently no driver for my wireless adpater (intel centrino wireless-n) so I gave up and reverted my triple boot to a dual boot of Win7 and Ubuntu.

Anyway, there are lots of tutorials online that cover this. Specifically for new Intel machines use this. If on an HP laptop use this. If on an i7 machine use this. See lots of tutorials, but it's all highly dependent on the machine you want to use.

Elerrina

For dual booting a Mac, currently the only alternative (that I know of) is using parallels. This will allow you to use Windows and Ubuntu . You can find out more here as I have never really tried it so I'm not that much of an expert at this point in time.

However, if you are using a laptop (such as a MacBook or MacBook Pro), I'm fairly certain you can only use Bootcamp as parallels are hardware.

steven

Administrator
Elerrina said:
For dual booting a Mac, currently the only alternative (that I know of) is using parallels. This will allow you to use Windows and Ubuntu . You can find out more here as I have never really tried it so I'm not that much of an expert at this point in time.

However, if you are using a laptop (such as a MacBook or MacBook Pro), I'm fairly certain you can only use Bootcamp as parallels are hardware.

Were going from Windows to Mac, not from Mac to Windows, right? Boot camp is for Macs I thought.

And Bigred how would I know if my machine could do it, its about 3 years old, but its an Alienware.

Has a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.5GHz 2.5GHz, so I dont know if thats an i2 or what? And is that a compatible machine?

Elerrina

Calix was asking if there was an alternative to Boot Camp for a Mac. And yes, Boot Camp is for Macs, but it only supports Windows.

Mycal

Staff member
steven said:
And Bigred how would I know if my machine could do it, its about 3 years old, but its an Alienware. Has a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.5GHz 2.5GHz, so I dont know if thats an i2 or what? And is that a compatible machine?

No, i3, i5, i7 are the next generation processors by Intel. Core 2 Duo is last generation, but may or may not be compatible. I would just google around your laptop model and OSX (ie for me I would use: 'dv6 OSX' or 'dv6 snow leopard' or even more specific 'dv6-2190us snow leopard 10.3').

Elerrina said:
For dual booting a Mac, currently the only alternative (that I know of) is using parallels. This will allow you to use Windows and Ubuntu . You can find out more here as I have never really tried it so I'm not that much of an expert at this point in time. <BR sab="763"><BR sab="764">However, if you are using a laptop (such as a MacBook or MacBook Pro), I'm fairly certain you can only use Bootcamp as parallels are hardware.

Wow that's kind of nice. It even runs applications seamlessly as though they were part of OSX. Works similar to windows bult-in virtualization then. I can't run video accelerated programs (ie DirectX based games, any non-native video [only wmvs], etc) in xp mode on any machine I've tried. Also doesn't work in VMWare or Virtualbox so I highly doubt it, but I wander if DX based games would run inside of this parallels program. That would open us up to Mac support fairly easily if it did, even in bootcamp. This is where Wine is much better than any virtualization or emulator I've ever seen (though yes I know it's not an emulator). It allows even some directx applications to run in linux.

steven

Administrator
After much work, way too much work due to a crappy old unsupported and forgotten Alienware m17x R1 system....I am successfully multi-booting Windows 7 64-bit, Ubuntu Netbook 10.10, and Mac OS X (Leopard 10.5.7) aka iAtkos v7. I am feeling pretty accomplished and happy, you cant imagine what I went through due to my hard-drive and dvd drives incompatibility with Windows 7 installer. Ubuntu was the easiest, Mac was after that even though I am yet to have many drivers working and due to that I have to boot in -x (safe mode) but I am going to go on a search for kexts sooner or later....and Windows was the hardest claiming over 15+ hours from me. Google "alienware m17x r1 and windows 7" and you will understand the installer would boot straight into a BSOD and when I finally made a bootable hard-drive to install off of it would stick at picking a partition and ask for drivers because it couldnt find the disk, yet when I gave it my chipset and SATA drivers which is what it wanted, it was still a no go. Finally I bought a external USB drive and installed it off there flawlessly. Anyways, its pretty nice. I am using EasyBCD and just messing with Ubuntu and Mac a bunch, since they are both new to me. Love Macs Disk Utility considering I could NEVER get my external HDD to work with my PS3 and all it took was a FAT format from there and it reads it right away now.