April 13 2011 -- Back to work

Mycal

Staff member
So I took another break from the code a couple of months ago because a co-worker introduced me to Dragon Age. I have no idea why I hadn't played the game before, but I was addicted all the way through till the end. I bought the 2nd and was less impressed, but still had some fun. Anyway, now that I'm done with those, back to work (well Portal 2 comes next week, so...).

I don't quite remember where I left off, but I'm sure I can figure it out from my journal posts. But following Steven's lead, here is a todo list to get me started.

[Website]
- Choose a host and pay it (I'm too indecisive)..

[Odyssey]
- Apparently I never uploaded the update I had promised, so do that
- Fix bugs as they arise.

[BSGame - Server]
- Finish Sockets and test
- Move all game logic into script modules
- Add ability to reload scripts without affecting game too much

[BSGame - Client]
- Finish Sockets and test

[BSGame - WorldEditor]
- Bring it up to date

---

After all of the above is done the big project will be to move all drawing (minus WorldEditor since it doesn't really need it) to XNA. Well, even before that, I need to fork the project. From this point forward, Odyssey and <BSGame - Unnamed ORPG> will share the same code base with the only exception being XNA. Odyssey will stick with SlimDX which is why it will need to be forked ahead of time. There is also a small change with the servers, since Odyssey will have a full server instead of script based. BSGame server needs to be updated on the fly, while Odyssey is fairly established in code and since there will be many servers, it should all be built in.

You can also assume at this point, the Odyssey port will be fully underway, hopefully with public beta builds when feasible.

krum

Don't forget to update the repo, so I can start helping a bit on coding as well :D

I am currently reformatting my laptop (SQL 2008 installer is being a bitch) afterwards, I am setting up dev for this game!

Mycal

Staff member
Now that all the kinks are worked out and all devs have access to the source, I've continued this todo list and am making progress. I think I am going to scrap the scripted gamelogic idea for now for simplicities sake.

Today I tested a lot of the socket code and found many problems with the way it is currently setup. My good old packet sniffer is helping me a lot in this effort. So I've started tweaking and redoing some things to be a little more secure. Somewhere down the line I will need to add proper encryption, but for now this will do the job, at least in theory.

So to add to my todo list:
- look into different encryption techniques, particularly with public and private keys (I have a good idea what I can do here to keep it semi secure even if someone were to get ahold of both keys).

Free time tomorrow so I'll probably be working on it all day tomorrow. I'll also be idling in IRC all day tomorrow so feel free to join me. Maybe I'll also setup a mumble server for additional fun.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ]
Windows%20Smartphone.png