July 28, 2008 - Update

Mycal

Staff member
Well, the summer school session is almost over. I had a 5 week cruncher course of Calculus and a 10 week breeze course of Computer Science 2. Now that it's almost over, I have had plenty of time to work on things. I've been jumping from one project to another and my current source is a mess (which is why there has been no new revisions since 2 devs with source access). However, I've had a lot of fun with some particular things and I want to share some fun that was just completed a few days ago.

It may take a few seconds/minute to load. See below (no sound):
[flash=640,442]http://ww2.mushroomgames.com:8080/video/demo_headonfire/demo_headonfire.swf[/flash]​

For those with flash disabled, it is simply the new particle system in effect. I made some simple fire and set my head on fire :D. It is also showing off the new bubble chat that uses actual background graphics (though I forgot to adjust the opacity on them before recording).

I should mention, when the game is FINALLY released, the particle system will be in place, but it probably won't be used in any form or fashion until later in the future (with spell implementation and/or ambient lighting). This is simply because I don't feel like making a particle editor at this time, nor do I feel like making it easy enough that any of the devs could easily understand it.

krum

I LOVE the flame, thats awesome, and the best part is that along with ambient lighting, that fire is SOO dynamic we can add a whole new thing with it, such as burning objects down, a burning flame, mist from a waterfall, steam from a hot vent... Particle system looks rad!!

we can even change it slightly physics wise for other things!! I will be back in full swing in no time, hang in there, I am just working SOOOO much, but when I am back in school I will have nothing to do on weekdays so I will be working on graphics, and I plan on getting A LOT done!!

PS, Calix explain how it works and I will think of ways to make it easy enough so that ANYONE could use it.

-=EDIT=-

oh and there should be an option for how detailed the particle system is so for people with crappier computers they can have less calculations in x amount of time. Kinda like "High, Medium, Low" settings on the Particle system. (along with ambient lighting, shadows, and other things)