March 7, 2008 - DX8 Conversion Update

Mycal

Staff member
Well I've been told that while I have to break up the tilesets used by this game into much smaller individual textures for DX8, so I went ahead and did that. I've also been told that having 266 different textures in 266 different files is not the best way to load the textures but to load them into 256x256 clumps. Ignoring, this advice, I went with the other method and will continue to use my system for encrypting/compressing/packing them all into single files.

So next on the agenda is loading this textures into a 2d/3d array, whatever works better. Then edit the drawing routines to reflect the new textures. After that I am going to make a very simplified version of the demo with the above changes and one with regular old DX7 (or I may just add a switch to use DX7 instead of DX8) and have it compared by as many people as I can get to do so.

Oh, and dev team, as soon as I get home, I have a new version of the packer utility and a brand new utility that I will upload to the file server. So make sure to grab those as soon as possible.

Side notes:
I live in Texas. It is March. And it is snowing..G'nite everyone!