Odyssey's New Home

Mycal

Staff member
OK, not sure if I have stated this yet. Steverino has officially agreed to me picking up the Odyssey source where he left off. So Odyssey's new home is here at Burningstorm Studios. School has been kicking my but the last couple of weeks. But I am nearly done pushing all of my changes into the version of the source that Steverino sent me (v12.1). The new server registry is functional, but not nearly enough stable enough to release yet. So in the near future a Beta will be released that supports the new registry, but until then, the old server registry will be hosted by me on my home server.

I have yet to buy a new domain for Odyssey, but will soon. But for now, Odyssey's new homepage can be found at http://odyssey.burningstormstudios.com/. You can see the newly functioning Registry there with a test server (player count is still currently innaccurate due to testing) that does not accept any connections. Everything on this site is served dynamically in real-time. And yes, for I ripped the entire site's template straight from Besrix. For shame :(

Downloads will be up by the very latest of the end of next week.

Mycal

Staff member
Sigh, so my home server crashed yesterday and my desktop is less than functional right now. My desktop has some problems and I have been meaning to getting around to reinstalling windows 7 on it, but just haven't done it yet. I just started reinstalling 7 as I write this, so when I get back home later on today, it should be back up and running. As for the home server, it overheated due to Summer heat, I'm guessing. Anyway, it needs a new power supply and possibly a new motherboard/CPU. So it's out of commission for awhile.

I should still have the downloads up by tomorrow, but I may have to push up beta testing of the new server registry since neither of my desktops are reliable at this time. Haven't quite finished the registry on the client side and the server side is a little buggy still, but the registry seems very stable, minus one issue I haven't exactly worked out yet.

Just wanted to give an update. I still plan to meet the end of the week deadline since the server and client are both fully functional. It's just getting things to update properly using the new updater. I may have to just do a temporary solution while I rewrite the updater in vb.net or c#.

Oh, and first version of the Odyssey client will be an installer. I will include a zip as well for those that just don't like installers, but it's less supported than the installer. If you choose to use the zip package, you will need to unpack the dll and ocx files in the proper places and register those that need to be registered. Installer does everything for you though.

Mycal

Staff member
Small update, my server is still offline, no go on that for a long while. My desktop I did finish reformatting, but when I restored a backup, it crashed again. So obvious bet is that the backup is what is killing it. That really sucks. Anyway, I was in the middle of packing up the installer when it crashed. And since the current source is on the extra drive in the desktop, I'll have to wait until it finishes formatting, again.

Just to meet the deadline though, I'm going to upload two different files for the client side. The first is just the updater. It requires a minimum of .NET 2.0. This has some small bugs, but just ignore them for the time being, when I fix the errors, you'll receive an update to the updater automatically. The second file is the important one. This will contain all the dll and ocx files you will need to play Odyssey or run a server. Also packaged in there is a file called Register Files. It places each file into your system directory and then registers them for you. I wrote this program several years back, so hopefully it'll still work on x64 systems. This package also has the vb6 sp6 runtimes. Run it separately.

If after registering all the files and running the sp6 runtime, you still have problems, then you will need to manually place all those files in the system32 (for x86 systems) or the syswow64 (for x64 systems) folder and register each one manually, using regsvr32 'file' (for x86) or regsvr32 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\file' (for x64). Or you can just wait for the installer to be uploaded.

The server will be uploaded at the same time. For now, there is no other updaters. Eventually I'll merge all the updaters into one. But for now, only the client has one.

So stay tuned, I'll have everything up in about 1-2 hours.