Development Update - 07/01/10

Mycal

Staff member
Well, I've had many problems with the Winsock API on every aspect of all parts of the project. I can't be positive what the problem is, but it appears that it is related to Data Execution Protection (DEP) on Windows Vista/7. If DEP is turned off on a computer, then there should be no problem, however that makes the computer more vulnerable to attacks. So forget that. In order to fix this issue, I just replaced all sockets on the registry, server, client, and updater. The registry and server now use an IOCP implementation socket (same we had in our old game server) and the client and updater make use of the crappy MSWinsock control. I know, there's memory leaks and all sorts of problems with many connections, but since we are only using it for a single connection, it'll do for our scenario.

That said, the remake of the server registry is going along good. The server can connect to it just fine, the updater can connect to it just fine, and they are all sending data back and forth with no problems. I just have not yet finished all packets that are sent between them. This should be totally done tomorrow.

So all in all, what I have left is the following:
- Finish up all packets sent through the registry
- Convert the client winsock api to the MSWinsock control (really simple to do now that I've done it 3 times).
- Do some quick tests to ensure the registry is handling connections and requests properly
- Possibly add some new packets to all sides to handle some things that would be really helpful with updates.
- Add my own special update updater (same as we had in our updater)
- Remove all backdoors that were put into the client/server (yes there are actually backdoors, though it looks like Steverino tried to stop some of them mildly)
- Add some real data encryption to packets (desperately needed. Probably just a straight rip from our old server/client)

When all of this is done, I'll be happy and will officially consider Odyssey back in working order for even newer computers. After this, here is a few planned additions to the game...somewhere down the line:
- DX8 Conversion (since DX9/10 is not supported in VB6 without a wrapper [which doesn't exist])
- Overall imrpove the DX code
- Add some particle effects
- Add some better lighting

Well, that's about all I can think of. If there are any features from after 11.9u4 that should be added let me know. I don't really remember what was added or fixed afterwards. If there is anything else that anyone can suggest, do so.