Development Update - November 25, 2014

Mycal

Staff member
It's been awhile. As I mentioned in the last post, work has gotten extremely hectic over the last several months. A lot of changes happened on my team and we had a huge amount of work due all at once with little hope of actually completing it in time. It looks like we did for the most part, but nothing has really changed. We are still extremely busy, but the stress levels have gone down a lot due to certain projects coming to a "close". Long story short, now that I'm not stressed all the time, I've started working on personal projects again, including Ody.

So a lot of big things have happened since I made my last post. Microsoft has announced that they are open sourcing the .Net compiler which was huge news then. Now they've open sourced the .Net Core. What does this mean for us? Well at the time, not much. The game server is currently the only piece that will run in Mono while the client and a lot of core libraries all depend on windows apis for the moment. What it means in the future is that cross-platform will be pretty much available out of the box. There are a few things I still need to work out in order for the client to run in non windows environments (mostly ui controls don't work with keyboard input at the moment in monogame, I need to rewrite the keyboard handler).

In the meantime, I've apparently left things in a horrible state. I started rewriting the ui components to use JSON instead of XML and just left it half finished. I completely broke the logger I had written trying to get the logging thread to log server exceptions to a form control. Not to mention, I either didn't save, or somehow reverted my changes for a lot of the network packets. So....good times.

This weekend, I plan to work long hours to get this back into a runnable state again. For fun, I may stream on twitch during this as motivation. Depends if I remember to set it up ahead of time.