Linux Requirement

Mycal

Staff member
Has anyone ever heard of a class requirement that you run either linux or a certain distribution of linux?

My Computer Science 3 course (which finally is focusing on C++ rather than Java) requires that we develop our programs specifically for Fedora Core 9. The class FINALLY has some computers in the actual classroom (a promise made 2 years ago) and it is our responsibility to install Fedora 9 on the computer. Well that or run the operating system directly from a flash drive, but he said it must be Fedora 9.

Honestly, I haven't used linux let alone Fedora since Fedora Core 1 first came out. So I'm a little slacking on my knowledge of linux, but the installation was relatively painless on my laptop (thank God for Acronis TrueImage for a backup of all partitions beforehand though). Wireless, on the otherhand, was a pain in the ass to setup. Took me 3 hours of tinkering and following like 20 different suggestions from people with a similar laptop/distro combo. But since the classroom computers will have a direct Ethernet connection, that shouldn't be an issue.

Anybody have any tips for a relatively knowledgeable Windows guy moving to linux (preferably that runs or has at least used Fedora)?

Also, Fedora takes freaking forever to update. I have had to cancel the update like 5 times because I don't have time to sit and wait for it to finish. Constantly running from one side of campus to the other or riding the bus to the engineering campus 15 minutes away from the main campus. They couldn't have laid out this campus any worse.

Mycal

Staff member
Hm, nevermind. He is now telling us that we should program in whatever we feel comfortable with. And since all the school computers have XP, I'll stick with a simple combo of Notepad++ and Borland C++ Compiler running from a flashdrive. Now to see if I can't make a backup of my laptop's current partitions and then restore my XP partitions.

Anyone know any disk imaging software for linux?