MP3 Player Research

What MP3 Player do you own and regularly use?

• iPod (any flavor of iPod)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • iTouch (or iPhone)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zune (any flavor of Zune)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Zen

• Other (please post with which one you own).

• Total voters

Mycal

Staff member
I'm a little curious. What MP3 Player (if any) do you own and regularly use? Do you like it? What would you change about it? Is there any features that you absolutely must have from your favorite sync software? What attracted you to this player over others.

Second batch of questions. What kind of Media Player do you use on your computer?

• Windows Media Player 9/10/11
  • Winamp
  • Foobar 2000
  • iTunes
  • Zune
  • Other
I listed only the most common ones, so post if you use something different. Is there any particular reason you use this player over others?

Mycal

Staff member
Here is my response:

I have owned an iPod Shuffle and an iPod Nano both first generation. As soon as the Zune came out I started saving up for one and came to receive a 30 GB one for Christmas. I like the Zune so much more than any of the iPods I have ever played with or owned.

The only thing I would change about it, allow it to sync through Windows Media Player 11. I do not have a problem with the Zune software, but I do not like having to have two different programs for my music. One I prefer, and one I use only to sync.

What I couldn't live without on my Zune, well that comes in two features. Radio and Wireless sync. I use the radio daily when I am on campus to listen to Lex & Terry in the mornings. I use wireless sync much less but I predict that will change very soon with the fall update. Actually, scratch both of those features, the best feature about the Zune is the reverse sync. Where you can plug in ANY zune to your computer and take pictures, music, or video from the zune into the music library. Reformat your computer losing all of your music collection? No problem, plug the zune in and reverse sync to restore the library.

Obviously my preferred media player is Windows Media Player 11. I used to be an unconditional supporter of Winamp, until I WMP11 Beta was released. Then I fell in love with foobar, but eventually tired of having the ability to redesign the way the GUI looks. Give me a feature where I can change the way my favorite program looks (ignoring skinning), and I'll change it and change it till I can't change it anymore. So I switched back to WMP11 which I already loved the look of anyway. (Side note: another reason for switching back, near the end of my foobar life, I found myself styling foobar to look EXACTLY like wmp11 and then came to the realization of "why in the world am I trying to recreate the program when I could just use the program.")

My favorite thing about WMP11 is its way of displaying the library is just beautiful compared to many other media players.

Mycal

Staff member
Forgot about that one. I believe I tried that one back when I was still in high school (graduated 2005 so anytime before then). I didn't really care for it then, so I wonder what it's like now. What do you like about it that other media players don't have?

steven

Administrator
It doesnt convert everything like Itunes, it can sync with anything. burns...u it does everything Ive ever needed, and I just never liked using wmp

Mycal

Staff member
can't sync with everything. My zune still requires the zune software unfortunately...

Mycal

Staff member
Still experimenting with that program, but I think I like it. So far. As soon as I downloaded minilyrics + the embedder, I had about all the functionality of wmp11. I'm still getting used to the library on it though. I wonder if there's any plugins for that.