Besrix 2.0.1 [UPDATED]

Mycal

Staff member
My final for Computer Science 2 is as follows:
"Create a program that has the following features:
- Save/Load data (whether it be local storage or server database)
- Uses the swing library
- Uses an ADT to store data
- Demonstrates loading of local images
- Takes user input from the keyboard/mouse to manipulate the program
- Uses one of the following advanced techniques we have discussed or will discuss in class:
- Pathfinding
- Collision detection
- Socket interface

You should by now know how to do most of these. You should have a rough draft of what type of program you preparing to do and in addition have all pseudocode written down for your midterm project on July 2. For some ideas on programs, try an easy project like Breakout, Snake, or Catch and Destroy."

So for my project, I decided to convert Besrix over to Java. Because of this I felt I needed to finish up all the features that were either broken or unfinished in the current version. So, Besrix 2.0 and possibly FINAL is now ready. If any bugs are found, please post them in this forum (or this topic) and I'll look into them.

A full changelog can be found here.

Now to continue with the Java port. As a side note, maybe I was asleep in class the day we talked about it, but does anyone know what Catch and Destroy is? I've never heard of the game. Google turns up nothing too.

steven

Administrator
Re: Besrix 2.0

runtime 339 msinet.ocx when clicking on scoreboard under file

and it says enter my name for highscore but doesnt ever show me where

Mycal

Staff member

Thanks, sorry, fixed.

As for the enter your name, it should open a window and set focus on a textbox disguised as a label.

Mycal

Staff member

OMG!! Being the moron I can be sometimes, I screwed up and uploaded the old version. So, until I get home today, the new version cannot be downloaded. For some reason, my server at home is having some difficulties adjusting to the new internet connection, so unfortunately I don't have access to the correct package at the time of this writing.

I love how fast fiOS is, but I hate the crappy router that Verizon gives you. I mean, really, the Actiontec mi424wr is a nice router with more features than most normal people can use. However, its wireless dies anytime you download at high speeds over a short interval (I'm talking, using a bittorrent client at speeds exceeding 500 Mbps for over a time >= 10 mins).

steven

Administrator

I think things like next piece and shadow piece should be on by default, also there should be a link to the online scores on the top of this topic somewhere.

Mycal

Staff member

Well I thought a great deal about having them on by default, but decided against it since they do negatively modify the score. Although, I originally was thinking about giving an extra bonus to turning them off rather than having them reduce your score. Maybe I'll update this whenever I remove the msinet dependency (replacing with winsock api).

krum

catch and destroy... no idea, but man I would love a class that taught me all the graphical aspects of programming, thats my WORST area...maybe some C++ gui... catch and throw messages which I have the faintest idea on...

Mycal

Staff member

OK, I figured the Catch and Destroy thing out. Apparently it's not a real game per se, it was actually developed by some student at my school and has become a programming challenge. This is pieced together by 4 different sources, so bear with me if it doesn't make too much sense...apparently I wasn't the only one who slept through this lesson.

What it is, is a game centered around a maze. The maze is either randomly generated or simply pre-rendered. This is part 1 of the program challenge.

After generating the maze, you define 2 start-points and 1 end-point. The first start-point is the path that the player will follow. The second start-point is the point the AI will follow. Both start-points should be the same number of steps to the end-point. The paths should be different for both start-points, but both solvable. This is all part 2 of the challenge.

Next the game should start and the goal of the player is to beat the NPC to the end-point. If you win, the NPC simply blows up. If you lose, you start all over. Each time you win, the maze gets harder and on the higher levels, additional NPCs will also be competing. This is part 3.

Though, this is the main way to win, there is another way too. The NPCs primary goal is to get to the end-point. You are free to choose whether you race to the end or you can hunt down the NPC and kill them. You can also find different weapons scattered around the maze. Some will help kill the NPC from a range (arrow can go above the maze) and some will help you to open shortcuts through the maze. NPCs can make use of these items too, but in early levels, they will not go out of their way to find them. As you progress levels and compete against additional NPCs, a few may try to "Catch and Destroy" you. This is part 4 of the challenge.

Part 5 is simply making the NPCs move faster/slower depending on what level you are on.
Part 6 is adding music/sounds to the game.
Part 7, no one is sure what Part 7-10 is, but they know there are 10 different parts to this challenge.

What I gathered, Parts 1-3 are the only mandatory parts to this programming challenge and all the others are optional. Shame there isn't any official documentation on this game/challenge. It apparently was a challenge 2 years ago and hasn't come back up yet. I'll try to get one of the submissions when I go back up to school, that is if the library is open.

Mycal

Staff member

Besrix 2.0.1 was released today. A few people at school brought to my attention the following bugs:
- Top10 option was not saving
- Online scores connects but not data is received (he used a packet sniffer)..
-- Turns out, our host was not sending a content length making it impossible for the game to download the scores
- Online score frame was always invisible no matter what options you had set.
- Load game dialog asks a question but only has an option for OK.
-- Additionally, the dialog was using the wrong icon. It was using Exclamation rather than Question.

All of those have now been fixed. I failed at finishing my java port. It got the basic idea across and got me my grade, but it is nowhere near complete or even runnable.