Development Update - 04/24/2013 [Obsolete]

Mycal

Staff member
I'm going to keep this short since the last 3 times I've started typing this, it got really long for a journal entry.

I have been working on so many different things it's hard to document all of them accurately, but the biggest things I've been working on is Sockets, Database, and the Script Engine.

I'm utilizing a socket library called Lidgren. I've hit some snags with IPv6 addresses though. For some reason my windows 8 machine isn't playing nicely with opening a listening socket. I've worked around this, but the same socket doesn't work on windows 7. It's silly and I'm sure there's a simple solution, but I've been putting it off.

I've also been working on the database. As some of you know, ody currently uses a MS Access '97 database. Because I'm updating everything, I decided to convert the database over to SQLite. I choose SQLite because it's OS independent and it's portable, similar to the Access database. I started to update the table layouts to use a more sensible approach, but code conversion slowed down greatly since I could no longer just 1:1 code convert. So I moved this off to a separate branch in my source control and I'll continue with that later. For now, I'll keep ody's structure for the most part with one majorly drastic change. I've completely de-normalized the Map table and moved tiles into a separate table.

Last but most certainly not least, the script engine. Ody currently uses a kind of vb like script code. I've mentioned this, but this is the one thing I did not receive from Steverino when he handed the source over. I think this is because Bugaboo was the one with the code and he provided updates as needed. I have no source on this just old AIM chat logs that lead me to this conclusion. Anyway, because of this it's difficult to hook it into C#. I can do it, but it instantly becomes locked to windows only and the code is unmanaged. I want to avoid this so I announced early on that I am switching the script engine over to Lua. This has been very successful and adds a lot of new power that you did not have before.

What I have been working on is something I originally decided to put off for much later. The script converter. This has been more fun a process than I originally expected. For the interested, I'm using xml to define the language rules and using regular expression to convert them. Basically, I take a script randomly from an old server, I run it through the converter and look for errors. If there are none, I move on. To give you an idea of what the converted code looks like, here is a sample script I did just a moment ago which actually is a very helpful example as I'll explain in the second post to this thread. This is a flat conversion with no extras. A lot of the functions here will need to be converted as well, I just haven't coded those yet.

Code:
----------------- joingame -----------------

function joingame(player,god)
  local x, xx, xxx, a, b, c

playermessage(player,"Welcome! Server is still under some construction.",brightblue)

setplayerflag(player,11,0)
  if GetPlayerFlag(Player,62) == 1 then 
    setplayerflag(player,62,0)
    PlayerMessage(Player,"You have been removed from the ladder!",yellow)
  end

setplayerflag(player,6,0)
  setplayerflag(player,7,0)

--[[
  for a = 0 to getmaxusers
    if isplaying(a) then 'and getplayeraccess(a) = 0 and getplayeraccess(player) = 0 and getplayeraccess(a) == 0 then
      if strcmp(getplayerip(player),getplayerip(a)) and player ~= a then
        timer(player,1,"multiboot")
      end
    end
  end
  ]]--

if getplayerflag(player,1) == 0 then
    setplayerflag(player,1,1)
    setflag(1,getflag(1)+1)
    globalmessage(strcat("Current Population: ",str(getflag(1))),cyan)
    for god = 1 to getmaxusers
      if getplayeraccess(god) => 50 then
        if getplayeraccess(player) > 0 then
          return false
        else
          playermessage(god,strcat(strcat(getplayername(player),"-- s IP address is: "),getplayerip(player)),white)
        end
      end
    end
  else
    playermessage(player,strcat("Current Population: ",str(getflag(1))),cyan)
    for god = 1 to getmaxusers
      if getplayeraccess(god) => 50 then
        if getplayeraccess(player) > 0 then
          playermessage(god,strcat4(getplayername(player)," has logged on: ",str(getplayerflag(player,2)), " times"),white)
        else
          playermessage(god,strcat(strcat(getplayername(player),"-- s IP address is: "),getplayerip(player)),white)
          setplayerflag(player,2,getplayerflag(player,2)+1)
          playermessage(god,strcat4(getplayername(player)," has logged on: ",str(getplayerflag(player,2)), " times"),white)
        end
      end
    end
  end

if getplayerflag(player,8) == 1 then
    setplayerflag(player,8,0)
    setplayerstatus(player,0)
  end

if getplayerflag(player,28) == 1 then
    setplayerflag(player,28,0)
    playerwarp(player,2,5,4)
  end