Development Update - August 22, 2011

Mycal

Staff member
Originally we used Subversion hosted locally on this site. There were problems with this method however, we were stuck without seeing who committed what. This made things slightly difficult if we wanted to revert or verify who was accessing/changing things they shouldn't be. Not that this is a worry now, but it is a potential problem in the future. So we then moved our repository to Assembla. Their service works fairly well, but it has size limits so it is even less ideal since we would have to dump our repository and reupload if we got too many changes (like our first major restructure).

Now I've created a repository on Bitbucket.org which is actually Mercurial and not Subversion. I have to say, I think I like it better too. I've been doing many local commits as I work on things and then whenever I have something working good, I do a sync with the server and all of my changes are then posted. I like :D. Now I just need to get everyone else on board.

Anyway, as for actual development, I've dumped all WPF code now. It was a little too messy having multiple windows popping up and was generally just a pain. Now I'm using XNA to draw the main menu along with everything else and I have to say, it's a little easier and working so much better than I was expecting it too.

So now, I have an actual working splash screen, a semi-working main menu (doesn't allow login or creating accounts yet, but I'm getting there), an uncompleted game gui, and an easy way of loading/unloading these components. I guess screens are appropriate, but honestly, it's nothing I haven't shown already.

School is starting very soon and my work hours are shifting around even more as of late so development is going to be as slow as normal, but we'll get there. Interesting news is that this is my last semester in school, it took long enough (going on 6 years in university and not even going for a doctorate :() but I'm finally at the end. I'm taking electives this semester and honestly don't care what I make in the classes as long as I pass them, so hopefully I'll have some time to work on this project.

Next update, I hope to have fully working client/server interaction since I've still yet to test the client's sockets.