Development Update - November 09, 2010

Mycal

Staff member
A good majority of the projects are now in C# and pretty bugfree so far, minus some issues with the world editor. It is one of the few projects that hasn't been converted yet. However, it is by far the largest of all the projects so it'll probably take a little while since I just don't want to deal with its conversion right now.

Where I am right now is fixing all the little bugs on the client that are preventing me from testing out the bridge stuff. Some tiles randomly draw a different image which I know is an issue with our custom texture cache. Not to mention the many bugs with dynamic map sizes and alphablending. For some reason I can't seem to get text to draw above everything else when the lightmaps are on. Perhaps I'll revisit the multiple surfaces of our old DX7 project and see how that works in Direct3D9. It is necessary to get this fixed before production since the entire GUI needs to be drawn on screen. Imagine it becomes night and then you can no longer see your inventory. Bad.

I'm keeping my todo list small this week since I have a lot of school stuff to deal with too.

So here's my list of todo for the rest of the week:
- Try not to be addicted to Black Ops (haven't even tried multiplayer yet :p)
- Figure out some kind of solution to the bridge problem, doesn't have to be perfected just yet, just decent enough for testing.
-- Additionally, choose the preferred way of drawing above and below player. (Z-Depth, LayerAbovePlayer variable, BelowPlayer variable). Honestly have no idea why I set up 3 different ways. Probably forgot or got confused and decided on something different. Who knows.
- Figure out the best way to change between tile depths (goes along with the bridge)
- Clean up the client code (its a big mess right now)
- Add MySQL/MSSQL/SQLite support for saving data (decide on either MySQL or MSSQL. SQLite needs to be finished for local storage)
- Start on network connections between server and client

Why is this depth thing such a hard concept for me. And where are there almost no examples of how to deal with it anywhere.