Development Update - October 11, 2011

Mycal

Staff member
Long time no update! So I've been working on the networking code for the past month or so running into many inconsistencies. Some machines, the networking code worked perfect every single run. Some machines, it ran and worked once, and finally my new machine, it didn't work at all. However, my laptop it only worked on certain networks. Thus all the confusion. To add to the confusion, the packet sniffer I wrote awhile back in c++, worked flawlessly every time whereas the game client was very inconsistently as stated above.

However, as it turns out, I'm an idiot. No surprise there. As it turns out, on my new machine, my IPv4 address is buried in the list of ip address on the machine. The remainder are all IPv6 addresses. So on the client, when I'm inputting 127.0.0.1 or localhost as the remote address, it's searching for the server on the IPv4 protocol, while the server is running on an IPv6 endpoint. I finally realized, after tearing apart my packet sniffer trying to convert the code for use on the client, that the packet sniffer was auto finding my IPv6 endpoint as well rather than using localhost. So after a month of tearing apart the code, and making it more and more unmanageable, the entire problem was solved with one simple freaking line of code!

Sigh, thus is the nature of my brain. I miss the totally obvious problem because I just assumed the first address the socket library spits off to be the same on every machine. But nope, for some reason, my IPv4 address is the 5th entry in a list of 7 IPs (where all the other are IPv6 addresses).

So anyway, now that this problem is passed, I've been making a lot of headway. I have basic messages being successfully passed and parsed properly. Next step is to get account information to send and login. I think I'm going to take another shot at integrating the game user accounts with this entire websites accounts so you only have 1 login across our game, Odyssey, the forums, and eventually the website. I just need to convert the phpbb password hashing to c# and it should all be good.