March 21 - Dx8 Conversion Final Update

Mycal

Staff member
Well, great news..no additional features, but all core drawing functions have been fully converted over to DX8. Lighting is still a ways off because I can't come up with a decent method to do it.

Colorblending is very possible and already in the works on the world editor. Which brings me to my next point. The world editor is currently being converted (which is much easier since I've already done the demo) and will be ready for admin usage very shortly. Then the client will be updated and normal programming will then resume.

Demo will be uploaded tomorrow as soon as I wake up..I'm tired now....

krum

hey I don't know much about DX8 but if you will post the code needed to:

find a pixle and or area, and change that specific transparency then I may be able to help... :D

Mycal

Staff member
Sorry, running late on the demo, wanted to finish up some other small things I fixed and properly test on my lower end system. After I upload I want everyone to be aware, I know that the loading is extremely long. There is only one load time for this game though, and that is when you first start the program. Drawing maps (including surrounding maps) is also pretty slow and pointless. We have a map of 30x30 right now which is completely unnecessary, because of the whole scrolling maps. So a key change to the world editor will be the MUCH smaller map size. Maps will now be the size of the screen, and just drawn seamlessly. This will not only decrease initial loading time, but also make packets much smaller when actually playing the game.

I expect to upload this evening, for real this time.

Mycal

Staff member
OK, not for real. Turns out I brought my sources with me except for the core part of the game (holds all data/functions that are shared between all projects) at home. My server at home, for some reason, is off and I can't get ahold of one to turn it back on. I am worried that the UPC went bad, because it has been acting up for weeks now. Which could have caused the problem, although it still never should have shut off unless the house lost power. But that too is unlikely since there hasn't been any storms since last Tuesday.

Even worse news, since the server is offline, even if I had someone turn it back online, there is no guarantees that I'll be able to login to it, since it hasn't been offline since I set it up and the router could very well not be allowing it access like the last when I first set it up..Yay! Fun!

So hopefully I'll have it uploaded this week if I can convince someone to turn it on, if not, it'll have to be a few weeks from now since I don't plan on going home for a few weeks..

krum

BigRed said:
OK, not for real. Turns out I brought my sources with me except for the core part of the game (holds all data/functions that are shared between all projects) at home. My server at home, for some reason, is off and I can't get ahold of one to turn it back on. I am worried that the UPC went bad, because it has been acting up for weeks now. Which could have caused the problem, although it still never should have shut off unless the house lost power. But that too is unlikely since there hasn't been any storms since last Tuesday.

Even worse news, since the server is offline, even if I had someone turn it back online, there is no guarantees that I'll be able to login to it, since it hasn't been offline since I set it up and the router could very well not be allowing it access like the last when I first set it up..Yay! Fun!

So hopefully I'll have it uploaded this week if I can convince someone to turn it on, if not, it'll have to be a few weeks from now since I don't plan on going home for a few weeks..

that sucks, when it comes to the router, most of the time the first time around the username is "admin" and the password is blank or just "password" if thats what your talking about :-\ lets hope it's something minimal...

Mycal

Staff member
No, nothing that simple. At first I just tried setting the server into the DMZ, but because I didn't want to install any proper firewall on the server itself (to keep speed good), I put it back into it and started adding portforward exceptions. Well the problem with my router, anytime it loses power, all portforwards are reset. So I tried utilizing uPNP and have the server just remove and remap ports every 30 minutes (but only if the IP had changed for some reason, unlike utorrent which remaps every pass), but the router didn't like the server doing this and I could only do it through another computer. Finally I got it to work, but I truthfully don't remember how I got it to work. And considering I don't have access to any other computer at my house (no upnp forwards for those) I wouldn't be able to set it up manually and am left only to rely on the server doing it itself. HOPEFULLY, there won't be a problem.

uPNP is truly a bitch to work with..but so worth the advantages of it.