November 4, 2008

Mycal

Staff member
So it's been quite awhile since my last post. However, I feel I need to make a few updates. I made a bad decision a couple of months back when I decided to put everything on hold while I assess on whether I can port parts of this project to another language. I spent much of my freetime at school trying to convert some simple core components to C++. Mainly, I was trying to port over the graphics engine. I wanted to build a very fast reusable library but ultimately have failed. I am still new to the language and it was a very daunting task to begin with.

During this time, I was also fighting a major bout of depression for many reasons. One, I took a big load of classes this semester and it proved too much. I dropped my physics course (as well as the lab and recitation) and thought I was going to be fine afterwards. Then I began having trouble with my Digital Logics class. I've heard several times that many software guys have problems with hardware and vice versa. I never thought this to be true until now. Much of the stuff in this class, I just can't get a firm understanding on. One, the professor is not that good. I can barely hear him no matter how close I am to him. He mumbles a lot. Two, the book is terrible. I can't make any sense of anything in the book. It skips explaining things and giving examples, for a whole bunch of theroms and postulates. Anyway, I still think I can pass this class, but I'm having to work really hard at it. However, because of the problems with the economy right now, my family is kind of in a crisis about their jobs. I'm not going to go fully into it, but it's put a ton of stress on me. I am in desperate need of finding ANY job, but no one seems to be hiring, despite the upcoming holidays. So I got all that going for me too.

So much of my freetime this semester has been, homework, exams, studying, searching for a job. Then when gas it an all time high, I decided it was time to switch to a closer school to cut out the 45-60 minute drive every morning. Gas has gotten low again, but it hasn't made anything easier, so I'm still hoping I get into a school closer to home. I've applied for admission and am just awaiting a response now.

Anyway, I've gotten back to work on the game now. Right now, I'm focusing entirely on the world editor to get it into a workable state. Once its finished, I'll adjust the demo to load the new maps so that I am positive everything is working correctly. From there, we'll just have to wait and see.

If anyone reading this lives in/near the Dallas/Ft.-Worth area and has any ideas on a job, I'm all for it.

Mycal

Staff member
Oh yea, something else I forgot to mention. My laptop is now officially out of commission. First the LCD started showing strange lines on the side of the monitor, never that big of a problem. Then my battery just went dead, again not that big of a problem, got a cheap one off of eBay. Now I have a dual problem. I am not positive on the first one, but when booting I very commonly start getting hardware errors. Changing the boot order twice from bios then restarting will give me a generic error message from Dell, but it will then load. So I think my harddrive is going out. Second, my AC adapter doesn't work at all anymore. I'm going to try and order a new one, but I can't afford a new harddrive. So until I have a job, I have no laptop. :(

krum

hang in there Calix, fuck depression, it's a bitch!!

have you ever thought of porting the game to C#?

it's JUST as easy as VB.net BUT you can do pointers, which would be faster for "SOME" things...

C++ is hard for me to grasp throwing messages and stuff... or I would have ported it by now...

Mycal

Staff member
Honestly, I've not learned anything about C#. I'm still in my first semester of C++. Granted, I'm still way ahead in the class, as he has yet to give me something that challenged me. I tend to finish the homework the day (occasionally within 1-2 hours) it is assigned when he gives us a week to work on it. If C# is not too different from C++, then I might try to look into it. One thing to consider though, I have not done any UI stuff in C++ yet. That's not covered in any of the basic computer science courses at this school. I taught myself for Java and imagine I'll have to for C++ as well.

Throws and catches is another thing that is not covered at all at this school. I looked into it in Java just because it was mentioned in passing, but never went really into it. Guess I should research that.

krum

Calix said:
Honestly, I've not learned anything about C#. I'm still in my first semester of C++. Granted, I'm still way ahead in the class, as he has yet to give me something that challenged me. I tend to finish the homework the day (occasionally within 1-2 hours) it is assigned when he gives us a week to work on it. If C# is not too different from C++, then I might try to look into it. One thing to consider though, I have not done any UI stuff in C++ yet. That's not covered in any of the basic computer science courses at this school. I taught myself for Java and imagine I'll have to for C++ as well.

Throws and catches is another thing that is not covered at all at this school. I looked into it in Java just because it was mentioned in passing, but never went really into it. Guess I should research that.

my school mentions em, but not in the way of GUI interface or two objects using messages for like lets say pressing a button...THAT I DO NOT GET...

C# is nice because it is dot notation, it took me like an hour to learn it's SOOOO similar to VB 6, but there are a few slight differences (.net framework)

then all you really have to know is the C++ syntax, classes (same thing as types basically), and how to use pointers to make dynamic arrays and such.

using pointers is THE most important thing you would need to know, the rest is easy.

the only downside is that I don't know the speed difference between C++, C# and VB.net....

I imagine C++ is the fastest (unmanaged) but I am not sure how much slower the others are.

Mycal

Staff member
Wow, C# is almost entirely like Java. Which I guess makes sense since that was what it was originally before they broke their contract with Java, at least that's my understanding on the situation.

I've not tried to mess with pointers in C# yet, are they supported?

Also, have you messed with XNA any? It's pretty cool in that it simplifies a lot of things for you. The basic back-end is all created for you.

I can tell you the huge downside to C#. The .NET runtimes are huge!! Granted, Vista comes with .NET runtimes out of the box, I think. C++ requires no runtimes. Also, I have not tested this, but near as I can tell, C++ is definitely faster than C#.

krum

Calix said:
Wow, C# is almost entirely like Java. Which I guess makes sense since that was what it was originally before they broke their contract with Java, at least that's my understanding on the situation.

I've not tried to mess with pointers in C# yet, are they supported?

Also, have you messed with XNA any? It's pretty cool in that it simplifies a lot of things for you. The basic back-end is all created for you.

I can tell you the huge downside to C#. The .NET runtimes are huge!! Granted, Vista comes with .NET runtimes out of the box, I think. C++ requires no runtimes. Also, I have not tested this, but near as I can tell, C++ is definitely faster than C#.

oh yea C++ is faster, but harder to write...

then again using directX in C++ will be so damn close to how VB does it, it shouldn't matter... there will be slight differences, but since Direct X has the same calls, it would be easier, XNA seems even easier, but I have not looked into it.

Mycal

Staff member
OK, Finals are next week, and since I am currently unemployed (it's a bitch to actually find a job anywhere these days) I will have tons of freetime to pick back up on development.

Right now, I'm going to abandon trying to move to a new language. Though I did just open VB and man, it's like a foreign world after working with other languages for so long.

So in case I forget, my highest priority right now is working on the world editor. I left it in a pretty unusable state after adding all the new features. After everything is done, the demo will then need to be converted in order to test the new systems. Finally, this all needs to be pushed into the server and client. This should be simple once the first two items are done as the client is pretty much an exact replica of the demo. Speaking of which, it might be a good idea in the future to look into combining the client and demo so the client can be used for offline testing.

Hit me with a big rubber mallet if I forget what I am supposed to be doing and end up working on something completely different.