Priority List - July 03, 2012

Mycal

Staff member
Ok, I'm making zero progress so I'm going to make some changes to the priority list. Right now, player account conversion has been at the top of my list, this is now moving to the very bottom and most likely pushed to next release (v14 see below). There is so much logic that I need to account for, and I was getting nowhere on the ASPX creation components. After re-evaluating, I think I may be able to work all the functionality I want easily into the current PHP code. So I may do this, but again, low priority now.

I will have a way for you to convert players to the new format, but it will be a manual method that is much slower. It will involve sending your server.dat to a specific e-mail which a cron job will pick up. This cron job will then convert the players and eventually send back an e-mail with a file that you will run through the converter in order to get your players. As I said, it's more manual and much slower, but I don't want to waste more time on this when there is so much else to do.

I'm going to be putting together a list of all tasks to be completed for the first release. I'll be doing this on our semi-public issue tracker. At least I think it's partially public. If interested, try it here, but no guarantees.

As a side note, I will be changing the versioning scheme a little. Currently, Odyssey uses a Major.Minor.BugFix(should be Revision, but...). I will continue with Major.Minor.Revision, with Revision being beta releases. So up until v13 comes out, all releases will be b13.0.x. Any bug fixes will be v13.x. This means that if you ever see bXX.YY.ZZ you will know it is a beta version and if you see vXX.YY, it is a stable version. I will be continuing from v13, even though this is a complete rewrite.

I haven't started on the Redmine tasklist, but here is what I am currently thinking about:
  • Finish up conversion (minus Players - Future v14)
  • Either implementing Lua now, or try to use the current version of OdyScript which I cannot really extend..
  • Convert entire infrastructure from UDT to classes and fully flesh those out instead of using a 1:1 conversion of their current implementation. This is necessary and unavoidable. It has to be done and I cannot put it off so I may as well get started now. This will basically make up the core library for odyssey that both the client and server will make use of.
  • Implement some basic user accounts on the Odyonline.com page and create some kind of API that I can access through the Odyssey client/server. This is also necessary since accounts are moving to Server Registry side instead of Game Server side. The local accounts are going to be pushed v14.
  • Implement the GUI XNA interface I've been writing into Odyssey and get the entire UI (minus editors) working properly. Editors are near the bottom of my list since I am still unsure how to handle them. They will, of course, make it into v13, but much later down the line.

That's a small tasklist, but there are some very large pieces on here. As always, I will not give a release date since I've screwed that up so many times, but I will shoot to have v13 out before 2013. This gives me about 5 months, so wish me luck. I hope to be more active as I work on this stuff.

Mycal

Staff member
Thinking it over, Script conversion will also be pushed. It will still use Lua, but no script conversion until much later..