Development Update - Sept. 15, 2013

Mycal

Staff member
It's been awhile since the last update. I've been trying to do them monthly, but missed the last one. To be perfectly honest, not much has changed. My motivation has dropped drastically on this project. I want to finish it, but I don't really like the solutions I've come up with for my database issues. I've scrapped and stashed so many iterations of the database, because there is always a problem somewhere.

My main issue is, it feels wrong to use pure SQL queries to get/put data from the database when there are so many ORMs out there. But many of those ORMs have major issues with the setup we have. The first requirement I have is that it must be compatible with Mono.Data.Sqlite. Very few meet this requirement from what I've found. Even the Mono implementation of the Entity Framework has inconsistent results. I've tried several others, but they are always lacking in certain features that force me to start writing queries anyway so I end up either scrapping it or creating a local git branch and stashing the changes before switching back.

I am still at square one on this. Square one basically is an abstract class that acts as a Database Contract. If I inherit this class, then the class must define the standard queries (CRUD) and they must implement the save and load. This works perfect, but requires a lot of extra setup to get each table in the database going. This is also not future proof since if I update any tables, I will need to update the class and update the queries when I feel I should only need to do one.

I really need to just suck it up and finish what I have now and worry about finding an ORM that suits my needs later. I've already committed to putting off so many other things in favor of getting a first version out. I may as well add another thing to the list to put off.

[st]While I have you here, a small warning, with the impending release of GTA V on Tuesday, I likely won't get any work done on this for awhile. Especially since by the time I finish single player, the multiplayer will be out sucking away more of my time. Add me on Xbox Live if you want to play, screenname below.[/st]