July 01 2011 -- Revisiting Pixels

Mycal

Staff member
I'm sure there was a reason why I reverted this change back in the day, but I've gone back through and changed movement to pixel based movement instead of full tiles. This should allow for more fluid appearing movements for sprites and an all around improved experience with player movement. It took awhile to get the tile collision to work properly, but it now does work and seems to work well compared to the old version. I started this because I really want to get smooth scrolling and seamless maps working before I continue with the Odyssey port. I didn't want to deprive the Odyssey fanbase this feature because I would otherwise have been too lazy to convert the code after I got it working on our game.

So now that pixel based movement works well, I will now be moving onto getting the maps to link, load, and scroll nicely. Oh and per tile lighting, since I think I have a nice handle on how to do this. It may not look extremely nice, but it'll function better than what I have setup currently.

krum

sweet, well in that case we can do graphics that aren't based on the 32x32 grid easily now and position it however :)

Mycal

Staff member
Off-topic, I don't remember your e-mail, is it the same as what you have registered on this board? I'm moving our repository again (hopefully last time) and need to admin you on it, I've sent an invite to krum already just need to add you.

As for a working version, give me a few and I'll upload a crappy demo. It doesn't do much since I'm currently working on other things, but it'll show off the movement. Or, if you have VS2010 installed you can just check out a local copy/compile and run yourself :p.

steven

Administrator
Well I dont know what you have planned but if you run into something thats within a say 3 pixel overlap (say you are walking up and your left most pixel clips a blocks right most by 1 pixel) it should kick you out 1 pixel to the right. Making it fluent and more or less fair especially when running through narrow passages or mazes.