Long overdue dev update.

Mycal

Staff member
I've started this post many times. Unfortunately, I always run out of time to type what I want to say and then forget to actually submit it. So I'll try to keep this short.

A lot has changed in my personal life over the past year. Without going into too much detail. Several changes have happened in personal life from sicknesses, moves, job changes, and so much more. My life has been very busy with much of my free time just being used to unwind which hasn't left a lot of development time for Odyssey.

The project is not dead or abandoned. I still work on the rewrite every now and then. Right now, I have a problem because past me didn't put enough foresight into the way I developed something. I'm on the verge of rewriting that piece, but I've been trying to convince myself to just hack around it for now and come back after I have something to show for all of this hard work. This is a problem I've had many times simply because I'm trying to make sure the code is very close in functionality to what it was before the rewrite. Usually I bite the bullet and just rewrite it, but the more I do that, the longer this is going to take to finish. I think I actually just convinced myself to make a note of it and move on. Good job me!

So my past updates haven't really detailed what I've been working on, so.. screenshots!

Server UI has a long way to go, but it is like the lowest thing on my priority list.
upload_2015-11-22_16-41-50.png

Splash screen. I know some people hate these, but you will be able to disable it. It fades in for a few seconds, and then fades out. I hope to eventually have it animated and some kind of audio for it. But this is the best I got for now.
upload_2015-11-22_16-56-57.png

Main Menu UI has been revamped from what it used to be. Keep in mind, all screens should be considered concept or placeholder until otherwise noted. Also from this point forward, please ignore all debug text as they won't be there when the game is "complete".
upload_2015-11-22_16-43-16.png

This is a temporary screen although some form of this will be available on release. This is in place right now since the registry is not yet completed. Servers can go online, but that is literally it.
upload_2015-11-22_16-47-5.png

UI after logging into a server. Message of the day hasn't been implented nor has Delete character.
upload_2015-11-22_16-44-19.png

In-game. Obviously, there are still some placeholder stuff. Inventory doesn't work at all yet. HP/Energy/Mana are all faked for now, though they shouldn't be hard to plugin since the data is there. None of the buttons on the right work right now. And there are no monsters being rendered. Monsters are what I am working on as I type this.

upload_2015-11-22_16-48-43.png

Any maps shown in screenshots will probably be from a test server called Discordia I was working on before quitting Odyssey several years ago. I have versions of old main, parsec, and several other servers I hosted for other people that I may try out too once I start focusing on scripting features.

Changing maps works, as does music and sounds (though they are all turned off at the moment since I'm kind of getting sick of hearing the same song over and over). Warping and dieing animations work as well, but I'll show those in a later post since I don't want to have to track down a way to record my screen.

See! I'm totally not dead. I'll post more screenshots soon when I have monsters and pve working.