Small Development Update

Mycal

Staff member
I am aware that the registry has been offline for a short time, not that anybody has noticed, but in case someone shows up. I'm currently in the process of totally rewriting the code for the registry to not depend on actual software and simply depend on the site. And while it does work, I haven't had time to fully test it to push out a new update. I have also been spending a lot of time with BSGame which is my main priority with Burningstorm Studios.

If anyone shows interest in Odyssey I'll put my priorites back on it for awhile, but until I finish the new reg, I doubt anyone will even care.

Alpha

I care! I am interested! I love Odyssey, and I love that someone is bringing back a registry! This is a fantastic idea, and I fully support it! Keep on working on it, woo!

Mycal

Staff member
Okey dokey. I'll pause on the conversion for a short time and try to finish off the new registry code which should be a more permanent solution to the registry continually going offline without notice problem. I am fairly busy with work but have some free time. I'd say give it a week or two at the most (or if I have time tomorrow, I can probably wrap it up in less time), but don't hold me on that deadline. I am terrible at keeping to deadlines.

For those curious. The new registry is entirely PHP based and is hosted on this webserver (which has very minimal downtime). The only problem I'm seeing right now is server's going offline before notifying the registry. Well that and it is not entirely difficult to fake a server on the list, so I'll need to add some kind of authentication so the registry knows it is a real server and not someone phishing.

Anyway, for the next release, do not expect the server/client to take full advantage of the features presented on the registry page. Private servers, the click to join link, and official servers will not be implemented just yet. The click to join link is technically possible if you know how to create URI schemes on your computer. It's not hard, I just haven't created an official installer for odyssey yet. But the rest will be for a later time.

Alpha

Great! Sounds good!
Well I've been trying to connect to the registry every few hours, but alas, it never connects successfully. It may be myself doing something wrong, but I port forwarded the default port in the Server settings.ini file and when I connect it shows my IP in the server instead of 127.0.0.1 but I still cannot connect to the registry, and others can't connect to me. Any help on this would be appreciated.

On the upside, I LOVE it so far. It's great. Editors are great, lots of great features, bonuses, formulas, etc. It's superb. And I absolutely and I'm freaking love with all of your scripting events/functions. They are outstanding. A few things don't quite work such as MonsterProjectiles, no matter what you set the speed/frameloop to, it's always the same speed. Also one question I had is, why are there monster projectiles, but not player projectiles? :s

And to finish off, the movement seems really laggy. Even when I'm connecting with the localhost, offline server and stuff, the movement seems off. Not choppy, but it's like rusty, like he's scraping or he's dragging himself along through thick mud. Wondering if it's me, or the client/server files and setup.

Thanks!

Santana

Hey Calix!

I got a question for you . Do you remember midvale/pk server? Well it's gone now and Sen(the admin) might let us rebuild it but we need to make it from ody source to seyerdin source prolly or some new source would you have the time to help us if we get his approval?

Thanks,
Gl

jmess33

still working on ody just wondering if im wasteing my time building a server or if it will convert over to what your rewriting?>

Mycal

Staff member
You will be able to convert your server over to the new code. I'll make sure of that. Your scripts are the only thing that may or may not be able to be converted. I'll try my hardest, but it is switching from VB style script to Lua so there may be some losses somewhere.