Adding tiles/player sprites/effects/etc?

needarideyo

How would I go about adding my own graphics to the various .RSC files?

The main one I want to change is NIGHT.RSC. The current version of NIGHT.RSC is like, a red-colored tiny checkerboard thing, and is very ugly.

Here's a different version that I threw together in Photoshop CS5. As you can see, it's black, and it's somewhat transparent (though you can't tell that it's transparent when looking at the image)

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to edit the .RSC files.

When I tried renaming the above .PNG to .RSC, and moving the original to another folder to use the new version, ody.exe gave me a "File missing" error and wouldn't start.

The other thing I want to do is find a good adventure/rpg game from say...the Gameboy Advance, and replace all the player/monster sprites, map sprites, and effect sprites with those from the game. Finally, the other thing I want to do is create my own custom interface for ody.exe because to be honest, the current interface is ugly.

krum

it's easy, right-click and open it in mspaint. It is a bmp, just renamed. when you are done editing you need to simple "save as" and choose all types then name it tiles.rsc

png's are not supported, as transparencies are not support, the red is "masked" to be transparent so it looks as if it is night.

to edit tiles, just open it in any program, you might have to change it to bmp first, then when you save it, save it as rsc.

this is assuming that mycal didn't change anything.

Then again, you will need to give others your tiles, but this causes another issue, people cannot have multiple tiles, so what I recommend is to append the file and not change what is already there, so that way all the original tiles work fine for everyone and your new ones only affect your server. Every tile is 32x32 and each and every one needs a mask to separate visible and transparent.

needarideyo

Well the other thing I was going to look into was how to host a server without needing the Registry.

The only issue is the current version of Ody used for the Registry is outdated and has various little issues such as:
  • - No mining/lumberjacking/fishing
    - No ability to store items in the bank
    - Unnecessary equipment slots (2 relic slots and 2 auxillary slots???) that Odyssey doesn't have.
    - No actual "Bank" tab
    - The presence of "/train", and the whole skill point thing. Odyssey doesn't use skill points anymore.
    - No "Magic" tab

Now, the lack of skills, and the extra equipment slots aren't a bad thing, for my plans.

Essentially, I'm sick and tired of Odyssey (Main, PK, and the newest private server "Jakes Server"). All the Gods on each server are basically the same, and everyone has their own little "kliqs".

I'm also tired of the graphical style, and I feel that if I can find a good RPG/Adventure game from GBA with alot of sprites, I could potentially create the new breed of Ody-based MMOs. That's why no skills, and extra EQ slots work perfectly with my "new breed".

But again, finding a way to host my own server, free of the restraints of the currently-down Registry is a pain in the ass. Also, figuring out how to hack/modify the current Odyssey Classic client to turn it into a "blank canvas" and use that "blank canvas" or "empty husk" as a base for my MMO is a pain in the ass too.

krum

well as far as I remember this is the classic ody, which didn't have any of the stuff you listed, you had to script it if you wanted it.

I remember scripting a lot of that stuff back in the day. Mycal will know more about anything specific.

needarideyo

And I almost forgot: On the Reg, when you click an item on the ground, nothing happens. But when you click a monster, you see "You see a <Name>".

Whats with the lack of "You see <amount> <item>"?

Regardless, if I knew how to view the coding/whatever of the Odyssey client, and modify it to not use Odyssey's servers, I'd do it.

I just want to be able to run the server.exe thing from my computer or a designated server (if I can find one), and have a client setup to automatically connect to that server.

I like what the Registry has, though some things like player movement bug me (the weird pause between steps?). But I also like what Odyssey has set up as well. The only issue I have with Odyssey is their .RSC files. You can't edit them in MS Paint.

And I don't know how to create .RSC files that will be recognized by Ody, especially a custom GUI for Odyssey. Apparently Remote's got some sort of encryption on the RSC files.

Mycal

Staff member
As Krum said, RSC files are renamed BMP files. All the features you mentioned where never builtin to Odyssey. Those were added by other people who have either a current version of the source, or stolen older versions of the source (there is many copies of the old alpha code floating around). But again, there is no encryption on the RSC files, they are renamed bitmaps.

If you want the server private, simply go into the options and disable the registry. There is absolutely no need to use the registry besides being available to more players. As for a private connector, I did build one into the client, but it does look like it has some problems. It is in the credits section and will be relocated in future versions. It is also fairly simple to create your own connector. I may just throw up a generic source code people can download and use for this purpose.

As for the no right-click item, I don't know why that wasn't added, but it may be because it is very simple to make a script for it.

The Gui is a little more complex. There is a version of the interface editor that I have, not sure if I included it, but it is extremely buggy. I had planned on rewriting it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I can throw it back up too though if desired.